Friday, April 20, 2007

The 12

I can't even begin to express how beautiful it is to see everyone's words ... to feel connected again to people who I have loved for so long ... to see the commonness we share after years ... way way too many years of silence.

I am sitting here in tears as I think about how precious you guys are to me ... and how much your words daily or weekly lift my spirits ... challenge me ... give me hope ... give me courage ...

Jesus didn't travel alone though He was certainly a man alone in one sense. He traveled with his 12. Those who ate with Him, communed with Him, fellowshipped with Him, laughed with Him, and cried with Him. Such a powerful example of the importance of fellowship ... they traveled together with Him everywhere!

Why then is it so easy to buy the lies of independence. I am not speaking of individual relationships with God or with one's spouse. Of course those are first and primary, however I am speaking of the type of intimate fellowship that draws us in and on to great things in the Lord and in our lives. I have struggled so much this week with -needing- others. I have told myself so many times that I should just be able to weather this storm ... and navigate this desert by myself. After all ... I am the one who walked into it ... and I'm the one who camped out here for so long. It's MY problem and I need to find a way ... only that's not what I hear in inspirational messages around me.

I look at the life of Jesus ... Son of God ... fully divine and fully man ... and I see ... He needed friends. He surrounded Himself with close friends. I have somehow bought the lie of independence ... it's prevalent in our culture. We don't get to know our neighbors now. We don't get to know anyone very well ... we don't want to offend ... to step on toes. We don't correct anyone else's children and we don't get involved. Too ... the whole independence message conveniently sidesteps the possibility for accountability so we end up being able to -do what we want- in our annonimity rather than having to -answer to- those who love us ... those who are God's hands, feet, and mouth in our earthly lives. If I am not known ... then I can not be confronted about my sins or my straying ... it's no one else's business ... right?

One of the things I loved about way back in the day was ... nothing was just your own business. ~laughs~ Yes moderation and self control are needed but there is something undeniable about that just in your face ... your business is my business thing when it comes to loving your friends ... really hard core gut loving them. How many interventions did we have to go on? I don't mean looking back and realizing mistakes but ... how many trips out to whereever because there was a need ... to step into the fray for our -family-.

No doubt there is a time to sit back and pray and interceed and let God handle it ... but how many times today do we use that as an excuse for inaction ... veiled beneath -deep spiritual maturity-? Are we still ready to drive where we need to go? Are we ready to stay up all night in intercession? Are we ready to go and pull someone from the fire when it might mean a long drive and more work because we have work, families and committments?

I have known men in my life who have been physical Warriors. They have been strong and powerful and unafraid. And I have known in my life spiritual Warriors ... who have been equally strong, powerful and unafraid. I have known those who would stop at nothing to step into the gap and pull someone out ... because they were that powerful in the Lord.

Adam, Andrew, Billy, Brian, Dar, Kevin, Helen, Julie, Johnny, RJ, ... all Warriors that I have had the honor of knowing and loving ... and being known and loved by. I am sure that Christina and Jennifer are both just as powerful as their husbands! I have to laugh as I look at this list ... 12.

I am blessed!

btw ... where in the world IS Chilly B? We need to find him!

3 comments:

John F said...

When I think back about those times when we pulled each others' fat from the fire, there were cases when we jumped right back in. But because there was an utter refusal to say I will not let my friend die here, we are alive and well today. You and RJ are some of our closet and dearest friends and if you had a need there is no place Helen and I wouldn't go for you.

P.S. sorry for not commenting to the Islam and challenge posts....
MY BAD :)

Hbomb said...

As my eyes fill with tears I finished reading your post, amazed that it was actually 12. I had started counting last week on the way to church as God was speaking something to me, but got sidetracked with my children. As I read your post, an excitement grew within me thinking about those times. The truth is We were made for war and it's time we all got back in to the fight and you guys have been just what I needed to push me there...I'll have to post about the Flashlight story in a post soon...it goes along with your independence thoughts.

Jan said...

We miss those times too, Caroline. That's for sure.