Friday, May 25, 2007

Could I? ... (and other ramblings)

Obviously the things you like reflect who you are on some level right? I was lying on the couch this morning with my feet in RJ's lap (yes yes I know, oh the life of a Princess right? ~laughing~) and I was thinking about a variety of topics from ... who the heck is Mike Huckabee to something that transpired last night at the dojo for RJ's jujitsu class. And then, out of the blue I was thinking about my favorite movies. I'll list them here ...

300 - If you haven't seen it ... you gotta see it! I didn't like the obviously computer generated effects or the strange -erotica scenes but ... with lines like this ... I can't help but love it :

Leonidas: "This is where we hold them! This is where we fight! This is where they die!"

Leonidas: " The world will know that freemen stood against a tyrant, that few stood against many, and that before this battle is done, that even a god king can bleed."

Dillios: " The enemy outnumber us a paltry 3 to 1, a match for any Greek. This day we rescue a world from mysticism and tyranny and usher in a world brighter than anything we can imagine, Give thanks, men, to Leonidas and the brave 300! TO VICTORY! "

Stelios: "It is an honor to die at your side."
Leonidas: "It is an honor to have lived at yours."

Queen Gorgo: "Spartan!"
King Leonidas: "Yes, my lady?"
Queen Gorgo: "Come back with your shield, or on it"

Messenger: "A thousand nations of the Persian empire descend upon you. Our arrows will blot out the sun!"
Stelios: "Then we will fight in the shade"

Xerxes: "I will erase Sparta from the histories... The world will never even know you existed at all."
King Leonidas: "The world will know that free men stood against a tyrant, that few stood against many."

Messenger: "Who does this woman think she is that she can speak among men?"
Queen Gorgo: "Because only Spartan women give birth to real men."

Queen Gorgo: "Freedom is not free, it requires great sacrafice. The price is paid in blood."

King Leonidas: "My children, gather round! No retreat, no surrender; that is Spartan law and by Spartan law we will stand and fight... and die. A new age has begun. An age of freedom, and will know, that 300 Spartans gave their last breaths to defend it!"


Fearless - phenominal Jet Li movie ... in my opinion one of the best martial arts movies that have ever been made

Gladiator - a must see ... I could watch it once a week or more

Hero - watch WITH the subtitles to catch it all ... It's a brain teaser of sorts but great action scenes for the genre and definitely a movie that has to be followed closely to -get- it ... again, another great martial arts movie

House of the Flying Daggers - Again, great martial arts movie with an intriquing storyline between the two main characters.

A Few Good Men - What is there to say? "You want me on that wall ... You NEED ME ON THAT WALL"! Good googly goo!

The Pianist - gut wrenching drama about a Jewish piano player during WWII ... hauntingly beautiful

Schindler's List - a must see ... WWII movie about a German who saves many Jews from the death camps

Top Gun - sue me ... it's THE BEST recruiting movie for the US NAVY ever!

Officer and a Gentleman - Just whoa! And I'm not even a Richard Gere fan! ~laughing~

The Guardian - powerful movie ... redemption of the fallen man through courage, faith, and friendship - gave me new respect for the Coasties!

The Shawshank Redemption - Tim Robbins, bless his anti-war protesting self and Morgan Freeman are really breathtaking.

Memoirs of a Geisha - my one true -chick flick- favorite - but what a beauiful movie!

Ok so ... it's a strange list perhaps and by no means is it complete. I could go on and on ... but what really go me to thinking about this is a proposition one of Sensei's instructors gave me last night. Since RJ has been going to jujitsu Brian has been teasing me about starting classes too ... and I've just been laughing and shrugging it off. I mean ... people my size ... WOMEN my size don't -do- martial arts ... right?

Yesturday in RJ's first class, while he was in the locker room changing out of his gi ... one of the real -tough- guys in his class was sitting on the mat stretching out ... He takes Tae Kwon Do, Brazillian Jujitsu and Japanese jujitsu (RJ's class). So we are sitting there in silence as I wait for RJ to get out of class ... and all of a sudden he comes out with, "So when are going to get you out here?" Of course I just laughed. I mean this guy is very serious about his martial arts and he's pretty impressive. They've all seen me a good bit as I go with RJ to class most days and watch but ... I was completely shocked when he asked me about actually -doing- it. I tried to blow it off but he looked squarely at me and said ... "you can do this -- if you want it ... many people aren't in great shape when they start ... but you CAN do this".

So then last night at RJ's second class for the day ... I'm sitting there watching a big group of very intimidating men taking their class and I look over to see this 5'2" very thick woman standing in the doorway next to Sensei ... in a white gi! I was thinking to myself ... there is NO WAY this woman is going to take this class with all of this super in shape guys. She easily weighs 170lbs. Her gi wasn't tied with her belt and I'm just watching ... when she pulls out her BLACK BELT and starts tying her gi. Turns out ... she is one of the school's instructors! ~laughing~ I'm sitting there thinking ... "No Way!"

In the middle of class as Sensei is walking through the groups of people practicing knife attack defenses, he stops beside me long enough to say ... "Makes you wanna get out here with a knife doesn't it Caroline?" I just laughed.

After class this woman black belt makes her way over to where I am again waiting for RJ to change into his street clothes ... there are a couple of men still grappling and she sits down a few chairs from me and comes out with, "So are you here considering taking a class?" Again, I just laughed and she goes, "I'm serious. You can do this you know -- if you want it." I was like ... "ummm no way, I could NEVER do that stuff." She looks at me dead serious and says ... "I'll make a deal with you ... you wear some sweats and a t'shirt and come to class and I'll work with you personally ... slowly." I was ... flabberghasted. She said, "You want to do this, you know you do. Everyone does at some point in their lives. It's one thing to watch it ... but to DO IT ... you CAN DO THIS".

So I left asking myself ... "Could I do this? ME??? I've never ever done anything so physical ... and I surely can't get out there with all those completely in shape people and even try to do this" ... but there is this soft voice inside of me going ... "but maybe ... "

So I listed the movies that I love to illustrate something ... there's a theme if you can find it ... that resides deep inside of me ... and I wonder this morning ... Could I?

3 comments:

John F said...

Well C, If you think you can or if you think you can't your are right! Besides what do you have to lose. This would just mean I couldn't beat you up like I used to in college. GO FOR IT!

Unknown said...

I really want you to do it. Like me, just remember it isn't about how fast you learn something or gain a belt... it is about a lifelong process of growing and getting better. However long it takes I think you would definitely enjoy it and that it would increase in you alot of self confidence and many of the same things I take it for. Besides... you already rock... so why not roll around too?

Hbomb said...

I'm thinking...you wrestled Johnny at his best and we gave him a good run for his money, though it took both of us and we never won - oh, wait a minute, I'm trying to talk you into this right? Sorry, I wondered off, have fun...besides how many people can find their common interest of fighting with their husbands! :)