Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Wine, Pipes, Tattoos and other objectionable things ...

I considered starting out this post saying ... "So I was sitting on the porch the other night sipping a glass of wine while RJ smoked his pipe and we discussed our newest plans for tattoos ... " but that wouldn't be the truth so I'll just say ... I imagined the scenario in the course of reading several other blogs recently ...

Which started me thinking about the -rules- so to speak. When we were in college (and over 21) several of us would have considered it a big issue or a matter of concern if someone were drinking. It was semi-considered a -sign- of trouble ... a hint of a deeper problem ... a rebellion of sorts. Same with smoking a cigar, pipe, or cigarette and well, tattoos hadn't come into fashion really so much yet so that wasn't something I think that we thought much about. You guys remember how it was though ... you didn't just tell people you had a tasty dark ale while watching a great old movie like Casablanca last night on TV ... either you didn't mention it at all which held a sort of hidden shame or deliciousness or you announced it boldly and dared someone to question it and still probably felt some sort of inner turmoil about it -- maybe secretly wondering whether it was really ok or not. The whole -what's my motivation- ruthless self examination that we constantly engaged in -- some for the good, some for the bad.

At any rate ... the -rules-. I used to think the rules were good. I used to think they were NECESSARY ... INTREGAL ... in the life of a Christian ... ESPECIALLY a young Christian. After all, if we didn't help them out with all the rules, they might slide right on back into sin ... not part from their evil friends and lifestyles and well, we truly cared for them so what gift did we give? RULES. Not grace and teaching and understanding about personal conviction and God's power to hold and mold those who give themselves to HIM ... but RULES.

Rules are safe -- right? Rules help you know where the boundaries are and help you to avoid trouble. Rules keep us on the path. To a point, that's very true. Parents laydown rules for children in order to nurture, discipline, and teach them the right paths and the safe roads. Funny thing is ... most of the time ... you don't see children in a group setting dictating too many rules on other children. Now occassionally you might get the "ohhhhhhhhh you aren't supposed to do that" from some child or another but who told them? It usually isn't enlightened advice peer to peer that sticks with young children. It's PARENTAL advice, guidance, and voice that molds and impacts young children most. Yes, there are exceptions and bad behavoir is certainly imitated among young kids but GOOD behavior and modeling comes from a parental figure ... not a peer figure.

As a child grows up ... then they are more inclined to take advice from peers than their parents and often suffer for those mistakes. Then ... eventually they get to be adults and realize how brilliant their parents actually were and have a whole new level of respect for them. Right?

What I'm driving at here is ... I think too often ... we jump in to play God in the lives of new or young Christians ... weighing them down with OUR rules ... taught to US other by other peers or in some cases by a personal conviction of our Father Authority figure - the Lord. We fail many times to consider that our rules MIGHT not be someone else's rules. We are so anxious to see success as WE perceive it that we want to do God's job for Him, you know ... give Him a hand in taking care of the flock. What we don't realize is that many times we burden young Christians with the rules that seem important to us but that are superficial to the Lord. Speak to a new Christian about the Lord's heart ... speak to him about learning to hear the Lord's voice in his Bible and private times ... and you are equipping him FAR more effectively than our list of Judeo-Christian socially accepted mores and rules. Sometimes in spite of all our lip service to God's power, we behave as though He is incapable of holding, keeping, or maintaining His own. Ultimately we forget that GOD is in control and that we aren't always needed as the well meaning but self appointed police force / parental brigade to new Christians.

This is not to say that I don't think accountability is important but if all your accountability relationship with someone is ... is rules ... then it's hardly as effective and meaningful as it's supposed to be. Accountability asks a person if God has spoken to them on a matter and asks what God's heart might be on a matter ... RULES ... well ... they just give rigid marks that are often more obstacle oriented than grace oriented.

I see a great deal more merit these days in allowing God's power and grace to do the convicting on a believer's life than imparting or inflicting MY rules ... maybe even my God given rules upon them. For example ... our friends Shane and Rachel. If you've been following my blog you know who they are. Shane is a new Christian who just gave his life to the Lord about 2 months ago. He doesn't know alot of the rules yet and frankly, I thank god for that. If someone had grabbed Shane the day he got saved and said, you know, you are living in sin with Rachel and you guys have to cut that out or you won't be right with God, I think it would have changed the course of his entire walk with God so far.(Shane was married prior and they can't get married until all the court stuff is finished, but they absolutely plan on it) It would have certainly been a burden, a worry, and a source of great conflict in his new life with the Lord. Instead, people ministered love, acceptance, and grace to him. They have started teaching him about the nature of God and about how to hear the Lord's voice, both in the Bible and his private times with God. He didn't get ruled to death ... literally ... in the midst of his new life. Interesting thing is ... without all those rules, he is making changes in his life and lifestyle. He is editing his language for example ... not because he was told to but because God is living inside of him and is convicting him. The Lord is doing the work ... not man's rules.

The funny thing to me is ... if you read what our friends are saying now ... they seem to enjoy their liberty in the Lord while not taking advantage of it. Their hearts are keen and open to the Lord ... their relationships with Him are intimate. They love with GRACE ... not the hand of authority or RULE ... they minister grace, forgiveness, and compassion while imparting deep truths that truly help through life's tough challenges and faith crises. They take the time to ask "What's God sayign to you about this" or to share their own struggles and lessons the Lord has shown them ... and less time telling me that my glass of wine is the gateway to damnation and that no self respecting God-fearing Christian woman would have a tattoo. They minister WHO God is ... NOT requirements for righteousness that God may or may not have given them ... they know now that in light of requirements and rules ... we all fall short. They understand more that grace is the extension that gives us hope, that gives us LIFE ... and that causes us to truly grow in the Lord and in HIS freedom.

Good gravy I am a babbler!

7 comments:

Hbomb said...

I'm with you...this is something God has been showing me for several months. The amazing thing is I seem to see a twist on it each time...you started talking about children which made me think about what I have learned as a teacher...we are taught to "guide" the children to creating meaningful rules that they are invested in and understand, as well as to keep the rules positive such as Use walking feet, rather than don't run! The amazing thing is, when the kids make up the rules and understand why they decided those rules were important, then they understand the purpose...my job is to help facilate that..."Why do we have to use walking feet inside? What could happen if we didn't?" I know that sounds silly, but it seems to me we should use the same principles in the kingdom...maybe our role isn't to solve the problem, but to facilate thinking...sometimes I have found that I have created a rule for kids that has no purpose...just something that I have always done...and by asking questions to the kids, amazingly sometimes I figure out there really isn't a good reason why we can't do something.

Kim's Hotrod said...

I'm going to say this again, you need to read "A Scandalous Freedom" by Steve Brown. All the things you are discussing he covers in this book. It was very eye-opening for me.

Reed Thomas said...

Yes, my glass of single malt scotch and pipe are both contemplative gates for deep conversation and reflection with Papa. Scandalous? Not for me, perhaps for another, but that is an issue for them to settle with Papa in their own life. One of the last guys I mentored in New Life had a regular "porch time" appointment at my place which involved 3 things. Guitars, Guinness and pipes. We wrote some good tunes, had many profound and intimate encounters with God. Oddly enough, he keeps in touch better than any of the other guys I mentored over all those years... Might there be a "freedom correlation"? Methinks there just might be. I know it was a HUGE deal for many folks in the church scene for me to go hang out at a pub, have a few brews and engage people in conversations. For those who know me, insert your own scathing, sarcastic, scripturally sound reply to that line of inquisition. NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION! So when are we getting together for some pipes and beverages?

Kevin Thomasson said...

Samuel Adams, Guiness, and a Cohiba robusta and you have me.
I'm with ya C. Derick Webb sang it best in his song, "New Law" ...
"Don't teach me control and moderation, just give me a new law."
I want to teach my daughters like I was taught. Use your brain! In recent years I've used what I was taught is seminary to go against a lot of tradition. We were taught to translate the Bible literally and not read into it. Thus moderate drink and cigars do not damage the body thus they are allowed.

Jan said...

sinners, all of you. I mean, really??

Jan said...

By the way... I'm one too.(a sinner, I mean)(and so is Greg!)

Anonymous said...

I agree. and Oh Lordy
Lordy -- NOW I can babble. I followed every seemingly odd thought but the sentences strung together and came out making sense